Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Cathy Howse says...

It is mission critical to keep the relaxer off your scalp. I just recieved her latest book in the mail and I am sitting here at work trying to sneak and read it but these people keep coming in and out of my office so I figured I would act like I was working by typing in my blog. Sneaky aren't I! But umm yes back on topic I think many of us have forgot to not apply the relaxer to the scalp. Many make the mistake of smoothing the relaxer and letting it touch the scalp. From what I can remember this is how I have always been getting my perms. Yes it is totally wrong. I am surprise I am not bald headed. Speaking of bald-headed Cathy says on the back cover of her book: "If you knew your next relaxer could render you bald headed would you still chemically relax your hair?" That kinda struck a nerve with me because I hate to say it but I would. But only because I am not fully educated on the whole relaxer thing. Today I definitely will be looking up some stuff on relaxers. I think this is kinda of my clue that I should try not to perm my hair. If I look at it I really have no reason to perm it. I keep braids or twists in my hair because I am in Afghanistan and I get them redone every 4 months so what's the point right?

I think my problem and many others is that we are so used of the hair that's laid without a strand outta place. Ladies, yall know what I am talking about. But if we cherish our hair and want to see it thrive then maybe we can leave the perm alone until it does. Umm... I dunno. I guess after I finish reading this book my decision will be made.

Now on the flip side I am thinking that our hair can still be healthy if we just take care of it and apply the perm like we are SUPPOSED to. Am I just making an excuse? LOL! I will keep ya'll updated as I read the book.

1 comment: