Monday, July 13, 2009

Bad Ingredient Check: Lanolin


Here’s a thought:

When you are in a hair store, you pick up a product and smell it. If you like the smell then the first thought is OHHH I gotta have this. That is the wrong answer. The correct answer is to read the ingredients.


Okay moving on…..So I found some great info about Lanolin today. Let’s explore it, shall we…

Lanolin is derived from wool; most Lanolin is obtained from sheep, and other animals. There are different grades of Lanolin. Lanolin is a thick substance, which when applied to hair and/or scalp will create a barrier. Therefore, hair will not be able to accept moisture. In essence products formulated with lanolin, creates a waterproof barrier. It takes a lot of work to properly remove Lanolin from the hair shaft, more so than some silicones. Because, Lanolin is very greasy, and a thick substance. Some people are also very allergic to lanolin, meaning to the point of not able to breathe properly. Companies use Lanolin in their products, because Lanolin creates a very stable emulsion, and it is an inexpensive ingredient.

Isn’t that some ish??


Tip: People start reading the ingredients on the back of these products. However if it works for you then that’s your provocative. But by all means I will TRY…notice I said TRY to stray away from these products. The other night I found myself trying out some Mizani Protein stuff and didn’t realize until after the shish was in my hair that Petroleum was on the MAIN ingredients!! It’s sitting nice and comfortable in the damn trash now. J Shoot I am NOT playing. I’m on a healthy head hair mission!

No comments:

Post a Comment