Thursday, August 9, 2007

Splitting and Split Ends? The angle of the split...what???

Well according to SistaSlick splitting ends are "places on the hair shaft where the cuticle is breaking apart and the cortex is left exposed." Once the cortex becomes exposed it is easier for harsh chemicals to damage your hair. Split ends are the result of low moisture on the ends of the hair. This is why some of the girls on BHM and LHCF prefer a method called "baggying." This is where they moisturize their whole head or ends and lock it in with a oil such as olive, coconut or Castor oil which is a favorite of mine.
A important point she mentioned as also mentioned in Cathy Howse's book is that just because the hair is splitting does not mean it will continue to split up the hair shaft. It depends on the angle of the split. Make sure when cutting split ends to use a good pair of shears, not your regular scissors.

What are split ends? You have definitely saw that girl with those see through ends. Well that's what split ends look like. This is what I am struggling with now. I know that I can not repair them but I am going to try and retain them by moisturizing and sealing it with oil until my hair grows a little longer. The only cure for split ends is to have them trimmed off.

Apple Cider Vinegar: A preventative maintenance against split ends.
When I can get my hands on some I will do acidic rinses using Apple Cider Vinegar and rinse my hair with cool water afterwards to close the cuticle layers and prevent the split ends from starting. But first I will wash and deep condition my hair.

How to tell if you have split ends?
Well I already know this...but what I didn't know is that if your hair does not hold a curl or straighten with heat that is almost a definite sign of split ends. In top condition, the scaly outer shell, or cuticle, of each hair lies flat and smooth along the whole length of the shaft.


Tip: Use Seamless combs for styling and do not brush hair when wet.

Be sure to check out her article, its on point! Click here

ETA: Here is a posting I started on LHCF:

Check out this lady's method of cutting SPLIT ENDS???

For some reason I woke up thinking about split ends. I remember reading Cathy House's book and recalled her saying something about split ends split outwards and not up. I am not sure if this is correct but I tried to do a search for it on the net and read this interesting post on yahoo answers by some beautician. Tell me what ya'll think:

"i'm a hairdresser by trade, the best thing you can do without cutting the length of your hair is to take small sections of your hair and twist in one direction till it looks like a rope. The split ends should spike out of hair rope, take some scissors and trim those dead ends off! Do as often as needed just remember to only cut the split bits off. Yep your right if you dont cut them it will travell higher up the hair shaft, thats why its starting to go frizzy."
Try putting conditioner all over your hair (loadz of it) put cling film round your head and leave on for half an hour. Do as often as needed and you should start to have beautifull healthy hair in no time. Dont forget always use a heat protecting spray on your hair before blowdrying and straightening. Try GHD Styling Spray its FAB! GOOD LUCK"

I think I am liking the twisting hair like a rope method. But what do ya'll think? and in case some of you might want to see the rest of the article here is the link:
http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question...AAiqrpM&show=7

So if that is true...then when my stylist twists or braids my hair and clips those stray ends she is actually helping me for once. Umm????

3 comments:

  1. "The only cure for split ends is to have them trimmed off."

    So not true, after I discovered a product called Wella Ends Express. It was featured in the April issue of Allure magazine, and it truly DOES what it promises. I had a bunch of split ends so I ordered the product online (It's a UK brand) and used it after every wash on my ends. 2 weeks later, I check my ends and I can barely find one split. You have to use the product to believe it. It's amazing. I only trim now to even up my hair, not for damage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shawdow,
    Thanks for responding. This product sealed your split ends causing it to look "unsplit." This is why some females lock and seal the moisture in there hair so they can retain their current length of hair and prevent their hair from splitting even more. This method of sealing is supposed to help you retain length and prevent future splitting. This is helpful for people with short hair that do not want to cut all of it off at once. Are you understanding?

    Once your hair grows out of your scalp it is dead. So once it starts to split it can not be brought to life by medicine, vitamins or any miracle product. Thanks for responding. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I will say is you have to try it. It's a really expensive high end product that really does what it says. It was recommenced by a stylist in Allure (Nick Arrojo I think). I would have agreed with you 100% up UNTIL I started using it. It's not an oil though but maybe it is doing what your saying. All I know is it's a great product, I'm nut's over it :-)

    ReplyDelete